Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day...Again!

Hi World,
The Queen had a big, big day today. I'm pretty sure she probably wishes that I did not come back to Atlanta to see her because I am a bit of a work horse. Jan is WAY nicer than I am when she pushes my mom to do more. I am not nearly as nice/sympathetic but I am really trying to work on it. Her appetite is just so tiny and small and I know that she can't gain strength until she gets nutrition. Lucky for me, I have a class of kiddos that all have some 'aversions to eating'. I reminded The Queen that I spend ALL day, EVERY day using different tricks to get kids to eat. I think this probably pissed her off a lot. For example, I told her I wouldn't get the nurse to get her back in bed until she ate 3 bites of her sandwich. She was not happy with me to say the least. Thanks to a tip from Nurse Nan Fran, we created a chart to document what The Queen eats every 2 hours. I will say that when it is all written down on paper, she did do a pretty good job eating today. She had 2 of her favorite protein shots that my dad hunted for all over Atlanta. She had an entire PB&J, 1/2 a banana, and some crackers. This doesn't sound like a lot to a big eater like myself, but this is a major accomplishment for The Queen. Everyday, we will build from that amount of food and continue to get her the nutrients she needs to be strong.

In terms of movement, we pushed her hard today. She sat up in a chair for over an hour and took a few steps on a walker with her Physical Therapist. The most exciting event was a trip outside. We had every member of The Royal Court here to venture out into the PERFECT Atlanta weather. We loaded up The Queen and sat outside for about 20 minutes. They let us loose this time without any nurses to accompany us! Unfortunately, I was so preoccupied with the excitement that I forgot to take pictures. But take my word for it...she looked great and was much happier after some nice Vitamin D.
Nancy couldn't resist the temptation to test drive her wheels for the afternoon:
The Queen says hello to all of you. I'll send my usual request....prayers and good vibrations for Queen like strength, a positive outlook, and a giant sized appetite.
Love to you all,
The Queen's Royal Court

1 comment:

  1. Please tell your mom that I'm thinking of her every day. You guys are amazing. I'm so glad you all were able to enjoy some of the beautiful weather with the queen!

    -Christie Hunt

    ReplyDelete