Saturday, February 5, 2011

How To Break Rules While In The Hospital

I should begin this post by warning you all that I am hitting that bored stage. We are in a no visitation time frame right now. Anyways, typing and thinking of things to write is becoming sort of therapeutic, so bear with me. I also know that my mom will want to read this when she's all better. She'll be so proud of us. I guess our breaking rules started with the Chaplain (great, right?). Well, this lovely and nice woman came to talk to us (always a red flag if that is happening....). Anyways, she would just come sit and stare at us. SUPER awkward to say the least. She was just the nicest lady, but it was just one of those times when we didn't want to talk to her. Perfectly valid, in my opinion. So, she comes over to Nancy, stares at her, and puts her hand on her leg. She says, "I just sense some anxiety and sadness coming from you." It was ALLLL I could do to not laugh. "No shit" is what I wanted to say. It was just funny that she targeted Nancy (who kept trying to combat the awkwardness by staring away from her). Nonetheless, it made for comic relief in a crisis situation. She never came back to see us, and I'm worried that it was because I was snickering about her when she left. Oops. I will admit that I'm feeling a little guilty because she was SO nice, and she meant nothing but good things, but it was just not the right time. So, that was the first thing we did "against the grain."

The second is that we had 5 visitors in my mom's ICU room. Technically, only 2 are allowed at a time. We are handing out Mike's Hot Dog coupons left and right to bribe people. Whatever it takes, right? I know my mom would fully support all of this rule breaking.

Third, you are supposed to label and date all of the food in the fridge in this fancy waiting room that we are becoming very well acquainted with. You are supposed to discard all food 72 hrs. after the date on the label. We started dating things a few days in advance so that it could stay longer. But now, we have been given soooo much wonderful food that it was becoming ridiculous to label and date it all. So we quit that whole experience and gave ourselves a little shelf on the fridge door.

Fourth (and this is my favorite)- we have 100% taken the "Family Support" room under hostage. See the sign below for the rules:
(I have NO idea why this is underlined and have NO idea how to fix it.)
So far, we have had upwards of 10-12 people in the room at once (all having conversations). We have enjoyed many great snacks and food items, we have all been on our phones, and I am typing this on my laptop while staring at the sign. We did receive a dancing bear thing that sings, so maybe that is classified as a music player? And I plan on catching up on Hulu TV tonight, so that will check off "TVs." Do I feel bad? A little....but the selfish person inside of me doesn't really care. This room has become our safe haven and we consider "Famaily Support" to conveniently be ALL of the things on that list.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, you guys are truly doing your mama proud! Love the rule breaking. Hospital rules are just begging to be broken. You guys are all in our thoughts every minute. I'm very grateful for the blog. I thought I might have to finally join Facebook. Much love from the Hunts! You are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you for keeping us well informed! It's such a relief to know what's going on and that Jeannie is getting the best care-EVER! We are there with you in spirit in the, "Quiet Activity Family Support Room", because if we were really there we would absolutely be asked to leave! Keep breaking the rules! Love to Jeannie as well as all of you,
    Deby Godkin (the other "Debbie" on the other couch...Nancy will know).

    ReplyDelete